Friday 28 March 2008

LETTER FROM AN UNBORN CHILD

Dear mama, I know you will be surprised to receive this letter from me. I’m now three months old, living under your heart as big as your thumb, but already a real person just as a crumb of bread is truly bread. I have a heart beating with love for you, a brain that is starting to think of how I can make you happy. I have a mouth eager to kiss you, and eager to talk. Iknow what my first word will be,” MOMMY”. I’m growing everyday. My arms and legs and fingerprints are taking shape. Funny how small my fingers are. With them, I’ll be able to stroke your hair. My hair is growing. It is smooth, bright and shiny. I can see even in the dark. When you bring me into the world, it will be full of sunshine and flowers. But what I want more than anything is to see you. How do you look, MOMMY? In six months, I’llbe out of this dark place. I’m just to thrilled. Aren’t you, MOMMY? Why are you crying? I saw you talking to yourparents. What did they say to you? I heard thescolding you, shouting: “ you’re not a good daughter! What will our relatives and neighbors say? It would be better if you had died in your childhoodthan bring shame to our family name. We will disinherit you unless you have your baby aborted!” MOMMY, why did you just nod your head? Why didn’t you even fight for my life, my right to live, myright to be born? If you give birth to me, I promiseto make you happy. MOMMY, give me a chance to see the light of the day,to see the sunshine and flowers. You cannot right awrong with another wrong. Tell grandfather andgrandmother, I love them. Although I haven’t seen them yet, l’ll make them happy too. Promise.MOMMY. Have pity on me. help, I feel all the pain, my bones and limbs have been crushed. My skinburning from the salt solution…ahhhh! Howexcruciating the pain of the blades against myumbilical cord. I’m bleeding. I’m drowning in my own blood…I’m dying…help…. MOMMY…h…..e….l….p…

No comments: